Here’s a Valentine’s Day-themed card.
I created it for a Simon Says Stamp (SSS) flickr group challenge. I just recently joined this group after seeing so many wonderful cards made by its members. Challenges are held regularly with this group and this was the first time I entered a challenge. There are rules for submissions to the group.
My card was made using a really bold cling background stamp from Hero Arts called Pebble Pattern. I bought it sometime ago but never really used to its full-on bold potential. I always used the background stamp to create a tone-on-tone effect.
The patterned background was fairly straightforward to make:
- Cut a piece of white card stock (Neenah Solar White 80lb.) to 4” x 5.25”.
- Ink up the Hero Art background stamp with Versamark ink and take the paper face-side down and place it on top of the inked background stamp. Rub your hand evenly and firmly over the backside of the cardstock so that you get a really good impression.
- Sprinkle white embossing powder over the inked image and heat emboss.
- Use the emboss resist technique on the heat embossed image. For this card I used Distress inks in 3 colors, from darkest to lightest: Fired Brick, Barn Door, and Worn Lipstick. I used the Ranger mini round ink blending tool to blend the colors working from the top of the cardstock down to the bottom to achieve a blended ombre look.
Next, I die cut the following:
- A circle using SSS Stitched Circle die set (the largest one in the set) from vellum paper.
- “Love You” sentiment from Stampin’ Up cardstock in Real Red. This was cut 3 times and then adhered on top of each other to give the sentiment dimension.
- Different-size small hearts from the SSS Mini Hearts die set were cut 3 times as well and adhered on top of each for dimension.
The rest of the card was assembled as follows:
- I glued the “love you” sentiment onto the vellum circle using my Zig glue pen.
- The hearts and sequins were added around the sentiment using the Zig glue pen.
- I glued the vellum circle to the dotted-background piece with small glue dots. The glue dots were placed on the back of the vellum, behind the hearts and sequins so they wouldn’t show through the vellum.
- The finished card front piece was mounted on a 4.25” x 5.5” piece of red cardstock in the same color as that used for the sentiment and hearts.
- This card front was then mounted onto and A2 top-folding, portrait-oriented card base.
Hope you like the card and hope you’ll want to join the SSS group on flickr as well.
Summary of Supplies used in making this card: Stamps: Hero Arts Pebble Pattern cling background stamp; Inks: Distress Ink in Fired Brick, Barn Door and Worn Lipstick; Dies: SSS Small Love You die, SSS Mini Hearts die set, SSS Stitched Circle die set; Cardstock: Neenah Solar white 110lb for card base; Bazzill 40lb Vellum; Stampin’ Up’s Real Red cardstock (used for matting, die-cut sentiment, and die cut tiny hearts); Other: Ranger Round Mini Ink Blending ; Hero Arts White Embossing Powder, Pretty Pink Posh Sequins (Sweetheart Blend), ZIG Two Way Fine Tip Glue Pen, Glue dots