I made another card using images and a sentiment from the latest Essentials by Ellen stamp set Mermaid Tail’s. The details of the mermaid tail are so beautiful, that gold embossing is perfect for it!
I wanted the gold embossed details of the mermaid tail to really show, so I used vellum instead of regular cardstock to give the image a transparent, light feel as if the image was floating on top of the water.
Hope you liked this project and the effect I was trying to achieve. Remember, be like a mermaid and make waves!
How I made this project:
- For the waves background:
- Prep an A2-sized piece of white cardstock with anti-static powder.
- Stamp the wave background onto the cardstock with Versamark ink
- Apply white embossing powder to stamped background and heat with a heat tool until melted.
- Let the embossed background cool.
- Using the embossed-resist technique, use 3 shades of blue ink to create an ombre effect from top to bottom. Blend the background as much as you need for the desired effect.
- For the mermaid tail:
- Prep a piece of vellum cardstock (40# is best) with anti-static powder.
- Stamp the mermaid tail image onto the vellum using Versamark ink.
- Apply gold embossing powder to the stamped image and heat with a heat tool until melted.
- Let the embossed image cool before die-cutting (with coordinating die) or fussy-cutting it.
- You may want to put the vellum under a heavy book or block to flatten it after it has been heat embossed.
- For the sentiment:
- Prep another piece of vellum cardstock with anti-static powder.
- Stamp the sentiment onto the vellum with Versamark ink.
- Apply gold embossing powder to the stamped sentiment and heat with a heat tool until melted.
- Using a small cloud image die, cut out the sentiment.
- For the assembly of the card:
- Cut down the A2 wave background by an eighth of an inch on all sides. The final size of the wave background will be 4” x 5.25”.
- Cut out an A2-sized piece of turquoise or blue cardstock that complements the blue colors used in the wave background. This is the mat for the wave background.
- Adhere the wave background to the mat. (Note: For added dimension, you can adhere a piece of craft foam sheet cut slightly smaller than the wave background to the wave background and then adhere the card front to the mat).
- Apply a runner adhesive (not a wet adhesive) to the mermaid tail and adhere it to the card front. Do the same for the sentiment. (Note: the background is busy enough that runner adhesive will not be noticeable underneath the vellum).
- Adhere the entire card front to a top-folding A2 card base.
- Apply sequins to the card front as desired.
Supplies used in making this project:
- Essentials by Ellen: Mermaid’s Tail stamp set (mermaid tail, sentiment)
- Hero Arts: Wave Background stamp (background)
- Essentials by Ellen: Mermaid Tail’s coordinated dies (tail)
- Hero Arts Dies: Infinity Nesting Clouds (for die cutting the sentiment)
- Neenah Solar White 80# for card front for wave background
- Turquoise-colored cardstock (from my stash) for the mat
- Bazzill Vellum 40# for mermaid tail and sentiment
- Neenah Solar White 110# for the card base.
- Tsukineko’s Versamark Ink
- Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Inks in: Salty Ocean, Peacock Feathers and Broken China)
- Heat tool
- Wow Embossing Powder in Gold Rich Pale
- Hero Arts White Embossing Powder
- Hero Arts Ombre Sequins in Blue