I just wanted to make a cute card from Newton’s Nook Cuppa Cactus stamp set. The shape of these cacti is just perfect for some Copic coloring and I like the fact that plants are sitting in patterned coffee mugs!
I decide to use a circle die with cross-stitching around the edge to complement and emphasize the cactus spines. The circle was die-cut from a piece of watercolor cardstock that I had washed with aqua-colored ink.
How I made this project:
- Using a flat brush, color-wash a piece of watercolor paper with diluted aqua colored ink. Let the paper dry.
- Die-cut a circle (about 3.25” in diameter) from the dried color-washed watercolor paper.
- Stamp the cacti images onto some white cardstock using a Copic-friendly ink.
- Color the cacti images.
- Die-cut the cacti images from their coordinating dies or fussy-cut them using scissors.
- Die-cut a small puffy cloud or cut a puffy cloud from white cardstock using scissors.
- Cut an A2-sized mat from aqua-colored cardstock
- Cut a 4-inch x 5.25-inch piece of white cardstock.
- For card assembly:
- Adhere the 4-inch x 5.25-inch piece of white cardstock to the A2 piece of aqua-colored cardstock to make the card front.
- Adhere foam tape to the back of the color-washed circle.
- Adhere the color-washed circle to the card front and mount the cacti and clouds (all flush) onto the circle.
- Stamp the sentiment.
- Mount the completed card front onto an A2 card base.
Supplies used in making this project:
- Stamps: Newton’s Nook: Cuppa Cactus stamp set.
- Dies: Newton’s Nook: Cuppa Cactus coordinating die set; My Favorite Things: Cross-Stitch Circle Stax dies (second larges die in the set); WPlus9: Hearts & Clouds die set (no longer available).
- Inks: Papertrey Ink in Hawaiian Shores and Tropical Teal (blended for a light wash for the circle background); Versafine Pigment Ink in Onyx Black (sentiment).
- Copic Markers: Cacti: G14, G16; Flowers: RV19 and RV17 for one flower, Y19 and YR15 for the other flower; Coffee Mugs: BG18,YR15, YR65 for one mug, BG18, YR14 over YR19 for the other mug.
- Cardstock: Watercolor cardstock for circle background; Neenah Solar White 80# (for stamped cacti images and cloud); Papertrey Ink: Aqua Mist (for mat); Neenah Solar White 110# (for card base).
Hope you like the project. Have a great day!