This card was inspired by this year’s Met Gala! I don’t think it is anywhere near the over-the-top fashions that appeared at the gala. However, I was inspired by all the rich colors, elaborate designs and intricate detailing on the gowns as well as the touches of gold everywhere (hence, the gold glitter border).
I love this cover die, Antique Engravings by Altenew. The design is very delicate, and I found it a little fragile and difficult to work with but managed to die-cut and adhere it to the card front. I didn’t apply any adhesive sheets, like Stick-it, to the back of my cardstock before die-cutting the cover die. Sometimes I find that on something so intricate and delicate like this die, you can end up tearing the die-cut piece when you remove the backing of the adhesive. Instead, I patiently removed the piece from the die after cutting it and added tiny dots of liquid adhesive to the back. It took a while, but I finally was able to do this and place it onto a 4.0” by 5.25” piece of burgundy cardstock.
Hope you like this card! Have a great day!
How I made this project:
- Die-cut the cover die piece from a 4.25” x 5.5” piece of white card stock. Note: It is important to use a metal shim and you may have to run the die through a couple of times to completely cut through the paper. The number of times depends on your die-cutting machine. I have an old Vagabond machine, so I went back and forth 3 times. I also adhered the cover die to the paper with removable tape (like Purple tape) to make sure the die and paper didn’t shift.
- Gently remove the die-cut from the die.
- Cut a burgundy piece of card stock to the size: 4.0” by 5.25”.
- Apply liquid adhesive in little dots to the back of the die-cut. (Note: I used a fine-tip Zig 2-way glue pen.)
- Adhere the die-cut to the burgundy card front piece.
- Cut an A2-sized (4.25” by 5.5”) piece of gold glitter cardstock.
- Adhere the burgundy/die-cut piece to gold glitter, placing it in the lower left-hand corner of the gold glitter piece.
- Die-cut a banner from the same colored burgundy cardstock and prep this piece with an embossing bag.
- Stamp the burgundy banner with a Mother’s Day sentiment using Versamark ink.
- Sprinkle gold embossing powder on the banner and heat emboss it.
- Adhere the banner to the card front using foam tape.
- Mount the completed card front to an A2-sized card base.
Supplies I used in this project:
- Stamps: Papertrey Ink: Keep It Simple Sentiments: Mother (for the Mother’s Day sentiment).
- Dies: Altenew: Antique Engraving Cover Die; MFT Die-namics: Sentiment Strips die set (no longer available, but there are many other sentiment strips that could be used).
- Cardstock: Neenah Solar White 80# (for the die-cut); Papertrey Ink: Scarlet Jewel (for matting the die-cut); Mirri Sparkle cardstock in Gold (for the mat underneath the burgundy piece); Neenah Solar White 110# for the card base.
- Other: WOW Embossing Powder in Pale Rich Gold; Zig 2-way Glue Pen (fine tip).